Tuesday 22 March 2016

Stylish and Broke

I am unemployed and all my pocket money for the past 6 months has been wisely invested into my bank account for my dance trip.

Luckily I haven't grown an inch for 5 years, so I'm not lacking the basics - plain black shirts and jeans. On Thursday my school is raising money for breast cancer and I have to wear something pink...guess it's gonna be either a flower crown or my adventure time bow.

Cheap Stores

Kmart became my saviour, $4 tank tops and $10 jackets? Yes please. I literally got my Marceline cosplay from Kmart...

My favourite item of clothing is my red check flannel shirt from Target, it has a tiger face on the back made of beads. Target does have some more expensive items but it is probably the only store in Adelaide that sells orange shirts.

Thrift Stores & Charity shops

Ewwww, other peoples clothes- Wrong. I used to think that second hand clothes were gross but if you wash them and pick carefully you'll be good; that means no swimsuits or lingerie of that skirt with the weird brown stain.
My formal dress - brand new with tags - $14.
Shoes that aren't worn with socks I put gel inserts in.
Savers, the local charity store, is where I got many cosplay odds and ends. The have racks of fabric too, my book club coordinator got a really nice, cosplay quality, teal wig from there once too.
Thrift stores are great because you find really unique stuff that you can never find in store, you can also find stuff for a quarter of the price.

The best part about thrift stores is you really get to explore your personal style more - I used to be a jeans and t-shirt girl, which I still am. But now I enjoy wearing cuter stuff every now and then, or fandom merch, or disneybounding. My brother says I dress like a country girl sometimes...

Speaking of second hand stuff - borrow your friends stuff. The beauty of have friends similar sizes is that your wardrobes become a swap meet, just make sure you look after their stuff and keep track of it. Older siblings or family members may give you their hand-me-downs, unfortunately I'm the eldest sibling and my cousin is way taller than me. My mum has clothes from when she was my age; I fit her jeans but her dresses are tall and skinny, where as I'm really short.

Multiple use

When buying clothes on an unemployment budget - purchase stuff you can wear multiple times, with multiple outfits. For example if you can buy the back high heels or the green floral ones, though they may go with that cute skirt you have, the black will go with everything for all occasions - formal or casual.
When I'm investing in wigs for cosplay I try and think about their multiple uses - i.e. a short brown wig that will do Meiko (Vocaloid) and Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service) or a wavy brawn wig that will do Hermione (Harry Potter), Padmé (Star Wars) and Belle (Beauty and the beast).

Jewellery wise, getting a pack of bangles doesn't hurt, it's cost affective and you have choice. A couple of gold bangles will match most outfits. I mainly wear the studs I got when I got my ears pierced or the Mickey Mouse ones I got for my birthday; simple studs look cute at a picnic or at a formal dinner. A simple chain with a charm is cute necklace wise - there is some nice time at Equip and Lovisa, especially if you shop sales.

Which brings me to my final point - SHOP THE SALES.

Spotlight becomes a war zone during sales, 3 patterns for $10??? Fight me!


So they are my tips for buying on a budget!
Catch you later xx



No comments:

Post a Comment